Sign Up If You Want To:
- Speak with a professional in detail
about driving record services.
- Discover the power of screening
Alaska Driving Record
Every person who operates a motor vehicle on Alaska streets, highways, or other public property must have a valid Alaska drivers license or permit.
Who Is Exempt?
- A non-resident who is at least 16 years of age, and has in their possession a valid drivers license issued by another state or country. However, an Alaska drivers licensemust be obtained by the end of a 90-day period after entry into the state.
- A member of the armed forces of the United States who has a valid drivers license issued by another state, and who maintains permanent residence in that state. A members dependents are not exempt.
- A person when driving farm equipment that is only temporarily driven or moved on a highway.
- An employee of the United States Government while operating a United States Government vehicle on official business.
- A commercial driver who is domiciled in another state.
Alaska Driver License Points
|Points||Type of Violation|
|10||Operating a motor vehicle while privilege to do so is suspended or revoked or in violation of limited license|
|10||Driving while intoxicated / under the influence|
|10||Refusal to provide a breath sample|
|10||Fleeing or attempting to elude a Police Officer|
|10||Speed contest, Racing|
|10||Negligent Homicide with a Motor Vehicle|
|10||Manslaughter with a Motor Vehicle|
|10||Assault with a Motor Vehicle|
|9||Leaving the scene of a crash|
|6||Failure to yield to authorized emergency vehicle|
|6||Failure to stop for school bus while bus is loading or unloading|
|6||Failure to obey official traffic control devices in school zone, playground, crosswalk, or park|
|6||Driving without insurance|
|4||Following too close|
|4||Failure to stop or yield|
|6||Minor operating after consuming|
|4||Illegal passing in a Traffic Safety Corridor|
|2||All other moving violations|
|3||Violation of oversize or overweight permits pertaining to restriction on hours of operation|
Alaska Speeding Point Assignments
|Points||Type of Violation|
|6||In school zone or playground crosswalk|
|2||3 to 9 mph over limit|
|4||10 to 19 mph over limit|
|6||20 mph or more over limit|
Alaska Seatbelt Law
Alaska law AS 28.05.095 requires everyone in a motor vehicle to use a safety belt. Drivers must wear a safety belt. The driver is also responsible for all passengers under the age of 16 years. The law requires federally approved child restraint devices for passengers under four years old. Passengers aged from 4 up to 16 must wear a seat belt or a child restraint device; whichever is age appropriate.
Alaska School Bus Stop Law
Drivers approaching a school bus from the rear may not pass the school bus when red signal lights are flashing and shall bring their vehicles to a complete stop before reaching the school bus when it is
stopped. The vehicles shall remain stopped until the stop sign is retracted, the flashing red lights are discontinued and the school bus resumes motion, or until signaled by the driver to proceed.
Additional Alaska Resources